Leadership Transitions Report 2021
A special leadership transitions report from the Global Leadership Forecast series with new research to help support your leaders in getting up to speed faster and more effectively.
Improve Leadership Transitions
This special leadership transitions report from the Global Leadership Forecast series examines responses from 2,102 human resource executives and 15,787 leaders around the world to understand how leaders of all levels navigate their transition to leadership.
We answer key questions, including:
- How many executive transitions fail?
- How do stressful transitions impact your company?
- How do companies support women and men leaders differently in transitions?
- What can you do to improve leadership transitions?
Research to Help Your Leaders Transition Better
Here are just a few of the data points you’ll see in the Leadership Transitions Report 2021:
- Success rates for executives hired internally are 25% higher than external hires.
- Men are 13% more likely to receive leadership skills training than women.
- Stressful transitions have a long-term impact, with 45% of leaders who had stressful transitions rating themselves as average or below average leaders compared to their peers.
When transitioning to a leadership role, you may not know how much your people are struggling. Wanting to make a good impression, leaders may push through difficulty with a smile, hoping no one notices how they’re falling behind.
— Stephanie Neal, Director of DDI’s Center for Analytics and Behavioral Research and General Manager of the GLF
The largest leadership study of its kindRESEARCH
Global Leadership Forecast
25 research findings about the state, context, and future of leadership.RESEARCH
Global Leadership Forecast 2018
DDI's Frontline Leader Project explores research behind the anxiety of frontline leaders.RESEARCH
Frontline Leader Project